Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Why Illegal Immigrants Ignore the Law

I just received my third 3-year work visa for Japan. My Japanese wife has a permanent residency in the USA. Here is a breakdown of the costs of my three visas vs her green card:

Item
My three Japanese work visas (combined)
Wife’s green card
Dollar cost (1)
$325
$16,000
Hours spent (2)
30
200
Days taken off work
1.5
30
Processing time
8 days (renewal) or 3 weeks (initial)
3-5 months (visa) or 6-12 months (green card)
Pages of documentation
20
400
Forced unemployment (3)
0
4 months
TSA-style security screenings
2
15
Very thorough health screenings
0
1
Forced international trips
0
5
Immigration office visits
Any office, any time within a broad range
Time and place mandated by USCIS
Immigration officer behavior
“Welcome back” – in English
Hostile questioning about technical immigration details – in English
Senatorial interventions(4)
0
1
Times anyone was reduced to tears upon (re)entry
0
1
Why do immigrants flout our rules? Because our rules are utterly ridiculous. This, and not "security porkulus in exchange for amnesty" should be what our immigration debate is about.


..............................................................................................................................................


1: Total dollars or yen spent by myself, my wife or my employer on application fees, medical or biometrics screenings, documentation, legal fees, and travel
2: Total time spent by myself, my wife, or my employer's staff
3: This results from the time gap between arrival in the US and receipt of a work permit that all family-based immigrants must endure, unless they have a work permit for independent reasons
4: Thank you, Senator Brown of Ohio and staff, for making this process "easier" than it otherwise would have been



No comments:

Post a Comment